Monday, March 26, 2012

2012 Quantumlinx Conference and Team-building

On my previous post, I mentioned that the company that I am working with was having a conference and team-building at Boracay and that I was rather nervous than excited about it. For one, it will be my first time to meet all of my workmates whom I have been working with for almost half a year now. And second, it will also be my first time to be apart from Saab. As you may know, she's still breastfeeding and this will be a test run if she could actually bottle-feed.

Well, the event was held last March 19-21and surprisingly, I enjoyed all the activities prepared by the company for everybody.

Day 1


On day 1, the company held a conference tackling the objectives and goals our executives have for the company. We discussed every objective and how this can be attained through the help of our ideas on how to make our every department better. We also had an activity wherein we had to align the company's goals to our own personal values and I must say that I enjoyed that activity very much as it helped me reflect on the things I valued most.

During the conference, it was also the first time that I was able to talk to some of my workmates and to be aware that these people actually exist in the company. Pardon me, but I have this personality that I don't mingle with a lot of people and that as much as possible reserve myself to the circle of friends I already have. The activities such as the 'speed dating' activity wherein you have to talk to everyone of your workmates about a certain topic at a time was very refreshing. It gave me jitters but it was something new and I kind of enjoyed it.

This is me leading a presentation from our department on
how to further improve the company's processes

Yay for me for making new friends!

In one of our short breaks during the conference,
we managed to get on the shore and be silly


Us working on an activity which in essence is aligning your personal values
to the company's processes and objectives
Day 2


On day 2, the HR department prepared a whole day of team-building activities that were all fun and enjoyable. We were grouped not according to our departments so I was able to sort of widen my connections as I am not only friends with the people on my department but with people from the other departments as well. First impressions were all replaced with good laughs, team work, and friendship.

After the team-building activities, we finally had the time to swim  on the beach. It was surreal that after almost two days of being there and not being able to get ourselves wet, we finally were able to do so. Of course, jump shots on the beach are a must-- I don't know if this is for everyone or if it's just me.

Boracay, still is the nicest beach I have ever set foot on. I know I have yet lots of places to go to but so far, Boracay is still unbeatable.



Company Photo Op




Day 3


On our last day, we were allowed to do whatever we want so we decided to go on banana-boating and helmet diving. We also wanted to avail the island hopping package but we don't have the time to do so. I actually enjoyed banana-boating because I requested for our guide to make it extreme or to make us fall on our seats. We didn't actually fall from the banana boat but at least the speedboat driver tried his best to have us fall on our seats. The first time I tried this, I was with my sister and cousins who are just kids so safety first, we weren't allowed to go on the extremes.




Helmet diving was unbelievable. I was so terrified of actually going underwater I had doubts of joining them until the very last minute. I was continuously asking the divers and the tour guide random questions like if there would be a chance that we would encounter sharks, or that if there's a chance that we would drown, or other questions that would make it evident how bad I was freaking out. I was asking questions and silently praying for God to give me strength and to take away all the fears and jitters that I was feeling at the moment. I was even more scared when some of my friends on the first batch to dive slipped underwater and the other one emerged after just 10 seconds, I don't know, because he was nervous as hell, too. But I made it! I lasted for more than 10 minutes underwater (too bad the divers said that that time was up already). It was definitely an experience I should try again come May.







All in all, it was such a refreshing experience. I met new people, I tried new activities, and I realized a lot of new things during the team-building and conference. But one realization impacts me the most. It is that I don't enjoy things as much when I do them with Saab. I know, it is supposed to be a company event but I was actually asking them if I could bring my baby with me. I did enjoy the three-day event but I know I would have enjoyed it better if I were with Saab. I don't know, I was just thinking of her the whole time I was there and I was calling Ferald, every hour or so. I cannot wait for our Boracay trip on May!

3 comments:

  1. yay for that outing!

    i know it's tough to be away from Saab even just for a few days.. but remember that you also need time to mingle with others and time for yourself. :)

    kay barbie ka pa rin ba?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! oo nga eh, kung nung college eh wala kong social life, lalo na kong nawalan ng social life because of Saab. Pero I do enjoy spending every moment with her naman. :)

    Hindi na, nag-resign na ko kay Barbie!

    Hoi, nagpalit ka ba ng number? I am always texting you pero di ka nagrereply. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Bat nagresign ka kay Bhaaarbs?

    I'm thinking of going full time home based for now. Mejo toxic ang day job ko. :( Masaya ba yan?! Hehe

    E lagi naman group text! Syempre pa-importante raw ako!

    ReplyDelete